L'esprit de l'escalier

It's all about the timing.

Name:
Location: Memphis, Tennessee, United States

I'd rather be somewhere else most of the time and I'm a huge practitioner of staircase wit.

2/21/2005

Hunter S. Thompson (1937-2005)

I was first turned on by Hunter S. Thompson almost 10 years ago. I was just transforming myself from the sweet little Catholic girl that my parents had raised into the free-thinker I consider myself to be today when I came across "Hell's Angels". My best friend's father was a riverboat captain. He was drunk, free and out of control and the stories her mother could tell flowed out of her like a river breeze. She had his copy of "Hell's Angels" by HST and I borrowed it; I've never given it back. Her father was the closest person I knew at the time who lived like HST. My friends and I only dreamed about having the nerve to do what Hunter did.

It's not that often when 'normal' people are affected by the death of a 'celebrity'. I can't remember ever feeling personally connected to a celebrity dying, as a matter of fact. But when I heard that Hunter S. Thompson died of a self-inflicted gun wound to the head, I was sad. A part of me died with him, as I'm sure most of his fans feel similarly. Hunter S. Thompson helped define who I am today. He taught me not to be so scared, to think a little deeper, to drink a little more, to talk a little louder. He influenced me when I needed him most and I've never been the same since. I liked to talk about what an ass I bet he was, or how crazy he had become. I liked to call him sexist and irrational, but I liked it because, in a way, he was someone I knew, someone I could rib. I felt that I could discuss him because I was so close to him, the way I feel about close friends or family. Now he's gone and I'm just sorry.

He left us in the only way he knew how.



We have become a Nazi monster in the eyes of the
whole world--a nation of bullies and bastards who
would rather kill than live peacefully. We are not
just Whores for power and oil, but killer whores with
hate and fear in our hearts. We are human scum, and
that is how history will judge us...No redeeming
social value. Just whores. Get out of our way, or
we'll kill you.

Who does vote for these dishonest shitheads? Who
among us can be happy and proud of having this
innocent blood on our hands? Who are these swine?
These flag-sucking half-wits who get fleeced and
fooled by stupid rich kids like George Bush?

They are the same ones who wanted to have Muhammad Ali
locked up for refusing to kill gooks. They speak for
all that is cruel and stupid and vicious in the
American character. They are the racists and hate
mongers among us--they are the Ku Klux Klan. I piss
down the throats of these Nazis.

And I am too old to worry about whether they like it
or not. Fuck them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com